Blog Archive

Drina Seay answers seven questions for songwriters


SEVEN QUESTIONS FOR SONGWRITERS

1. What makes you write?

That’s a question I ask myself all the time! Everything has already been done, why even bother? I always come back to the fact that every single one of us on the planet has a different perspective. I think about the songs I love and how it feels to be able to relate to them. I hope that by writing what I like and what’s true for me that somebody else will relate to it, too.



2. Who is the greatest unknown influence on your music?

By far, my husband Dave. He always believes in me. Thank you, Dave! I love you!



3. What is your most closeted, secret, guilty and humiliating musical pleasure?

Love Hurts, the Nazareth version. There, I said it.



4. What established artist made you want to write songs, and why?

Holy cow, there are so many. Here in NYC I would have to say that my 2 favorite established songwriters are Monica Passin of Li’l Mo & the Monicats and Elena Skye of the Demolition String Band. Both are amazingly strong, bold women, excellent instrumentalists, and know how to throw down and have a great time. They both made me realize that you can write and play all different kinds of songs from all genres, and that silly and fun songs can be just as good as or better than serious and sad ones.



5. Advice for just-starting songwriters on establishing yourself as a woman in the industry?

Well, I’m certainly not established. Here’s some advice I have been given that I try to keep in mind: write everything you think of, don’t self-judge. Even if you think a song is terrible, it’s still good to go through the process of writing it so you can move on and get to the next thing. Not every great songwriter can be like Bob Dylan and have the songs just pour out. I’ve heard many great songwriters say you have to write a hundred bad songs before you get a good one. The point is to just keep on doing it.



6. Why country?

Funny, I grew up NOT liking country music at all. I’m still not fond of mainstream pop country. I’m more of a vintage girl. I like the roots of country, a bunch of folks sitting around, singing and playing their hearts out together. I love jam parties in peoples’ living rooms and sitting around campfires. I love melodies and songs that seem timeless.



7. Favorite backwoods expression?

Hard tellin’, not knowin’!

Total Pageviews