Blog Archive

Kara Suzanne: Songwriter of the Week!



Kara Suzanne, Songwriter
www.karasuzanne.com

Kara Suzanne has a brand new record coming out! Her CD release party is January 26th at Joe's Pub. Tickets are available at http://tickets.publictheater.org/calendar/view.asp?id=11562
Don't miss this one....anyway, here are Kara's Seven Questions, Answered.
Love, Jamie Lyn


1. What makes you write?
The joy of my life has been to create.. my main creations: music and food! Some people have babies.. I have songs. They don't talk back! But they can be just as expensive to bring to the world. I write because I have to. I realize when I'm not writing I get depressed. Then I write a song and think, man that was I'll I needed!

2. Who is the greatest unknown influence on your music?
I would say Elliott Smith. I grew up going to his shows in Portland when he was in the band Heatmiser. He played for us when I was in high school at a small show at my friends farm. One time he even drove my friends home after a show. He was a mythical yet present figure to me and I admire his songwriting so much. His music was the soundtrack of a very formidable time for me.. adolescence!

3. What is your most closeted, secret, guilty and humiliating musical pleasure?
How about the old hair brush microphone act? I do that in my mirror still;) I don't know about humiliating but I LOVE the Gross Pointe Blank Soundtracks (both one and two) to DEATH! 80's music brings the out good old nostagia for me. I loved listening to my ghetto blaster in my room when I was a wee thing, all the top 40 hits of the 80's.. those melodies were very influential to me.

4. What established artist made you want to write songs, and why?
There are many for me but I would have to say equal parts Dolly Parton, Joni Mitchell and Patty Griffin. Need I say more? I mean their just so amazing it made me want to do that too.. Also Joan Armatrading's first album and of course Carole King.. Lucinda, Gillian.. I mean how can I choose? They all made me have the urge.. to purge.. my soul.. with song..

5. Advice for just-starting songwriters on establishing yourself as a woman in the industry?
Never give up, never surrender!! if you know in your soul you have what it takes then keep going.. work your ass off.. do it yourself. Don't wait for someone to come along to help.. onward! Flashing a little of what the good lord gave you never hurt a stage-bound girl none neither;)

6. Why country?
It's so funny but I used to hate country! Or what I thought was country. Main-stream country, or what I now call Morphed Country. City Slicker Country, formulaic, pop crap. I didn't know of the rich heritage of the genre. I'd never heard Hank Williams, Cash or Louvin Brothers. My parents listened to Elton John and Cat Stevens (though I do love me some Cat). I only knew the predecessors of Toby Keith. All my narrow-minded-right-wing-lovin' relatives who used to make fun of my "alternative" ways listened to Morphed Country. When I finally learned the truth of what real country is and where it came from I realized I felt it deep in my soul. Writing it comes so easy to me. Dolly, Patsy and Emmylou Harris really helped me see the light.

7. Favorite backwoods expression?
I always liked this one by Patsy:
Here's to those who wish us well and those who don't can go to hell. - Patsy Cline

Total Pageviews