Blog Archive

Rosy Nolan on "Seven Questions for Songwriters"


SEVEN QUESTIONS FOR SONGWRITERS

1. What makes you write?
What makes me write has changed recently. What used to make me write, 99.99% of the time, was feeling down on love. Recently, I've been writing songs to console my former love-sick self, so I guess the topic is basically the same.

2. Who is the greatest unknown influence on your music?
I can't separate an influence on my life from an influence on my music so I would have to say, my mama.


3. What is your most closeted, secret, guilty and humiliating musical pleasure?
I really enjoy relaxing to Native American flute music.

4. What established artist made you want to write songs, and why?
Lucinda Williams, because she speaks her truth so unapologetically and I wanna do that too.

5. Advice for just-starting songwriters on establishing yourself as a woman in the industry?
Write, write, write, write, write and what ever you do... don't date your guitar player.

6. Why country?
It's organic and raw, warm and inviting, and feels like coming home.

7. Favorite backwoods expression?
"Git 'er done!"

Total Pageviews